UN SÁBADO CUALQUIERA EN CÓRDOBA

UN SÁBADO CUALQUIERA EN CÓRDOBA
UNA DE BUENOS AMIGOS

domingo, 8 de marzo de 2015

8 reasons why a Spaniard would marry a Briton

Hey bloggers! I think it's about time to write my first post in English. And to start off, I could not find a better topic, could I? Another thing I was willing to test is the-make-a-list way of writing. Let's see how the mixture turns out.
In September of 2014, my life changed completely. My radiant British wife walked down the aisle, in what now I'd say it was the best day of our still short existences so far. But what draws our attention today is how it all got there, the path not the outcome, the motives which made an Andalusian guy fall in love with a tea-compulsive-drinker girl. There we go:
Reason 1. - Is there a better way to master a foreign language? Not only that, here we're talking about the international tongue. What an appealing goal. In my case, she teaches English as her career so bingo!
Reason 2. - Speaking of acquiring new skills: punctuality. As you already may know, Andalusian people are quite laid back by nature. For example, when you agree to meet up at 8 o'clock with some friends, it's okeyish if you turn up at 8:15, not too bad if it's 8:30 and a bit over the top if you come by 45 minutes late (assuming that you have not given any notice, because it'd be quite normal if you did). Since I met her, I reckon I've become 200% better in getting to places on time... Great achievement!
Reason 3. - Moving on to a different point, a British girl will show you how disorganised Spain is when it comes to paperwork. Before I met her, I thought everything was just fine, then I realised I was so wrong ( when you compare it with Great Britain, obviously). Making a formal complaint could be an appropriate solution as people seem to care a lot about it, I've come to know.
Reason 4. - English sense of humour. That could go either way, as some people find sarcasm absolutely hilarious and some others hate it. It's exactly the same effect Marmite has on Britons. Thank God I quite appreciate the change.
Reaaon 5. - Talking about controversial reasons, it's time to introduce food. Spanish people always defend the Mediterranean diet as the best in the world. According to my wife we fry too much and have less choice than the British... I can't do anything but agree with her. To eat in a good quality Indian restaurant you must go to Great Britain. She's taught me how to love international food, which is a great thing.
Reason 6. - What about routine? She claims I'm a man of customs. Things you should handle with special care when you marry a Spaniard: respect their siesta timetable, have a "merienda" at an exact hour and go to church on Sundays (In fact the last one does not apply to the current century, although it does to me. Sorry...), among others. Actually, this ought to be a reason not to marry a Briton. Oops.
Reason 7. - Allow me to say tenderness. My aim was not to be cheesy with the post but a tiny bit won't hurt anyone, will it? Therefore, I admit British girls are more affectionate than Spanish ones. And there's no arguing with such statement, is that clear? Haha. Love might have made me blind.
Reason 8. - The mixture of cultures. This is the one I like best, and as the colloquial expression reads, let´s save the best for last. Getting to soak up a whole new culture, full of habits and customs, is probably one of the richest experiences you can go through in life. I'm dying to have our baby with us and travel to England once more.

Time to claim victory. Mission accomplished. First post in my second language finished. Those who are still single, and willing to find someone to share their lives with can use this post as future reference. Britons are a special kind so keep your eyes open for them. I wish you guys all the best and I promise to come back with fresh ideas and a new-and-entertaining piece of writing. See you soon.


1 comentario:

  1. Del texto no me entero de na, pero la foto me encanta. Qué parejita tan ideal. Se os quiere. Muak!

    ResponderEliminar